Thursday, May 19, 2011

Snackin' Cake

Remember 'Snackin' Cake'? When my oldest daughter Jenny was little in the picture above, it was popular. I wish you could see this picture close up...there's cake running down her chin. I think someone took some licks from the empty bowl while I was out of the room. Anyway, back to the cake: I think you just added a few items and mixed it and cooked it in a single layer pan. At the time, it might've seemed easy, but really it wasn't much easier than making a cake mix.

There is a recipe floating around the blogisphere that is the easiest and best 'snackin cake' type recipe ever, and healthy to boot. I made it for my in laws recently and my mother in law thought it was the best chocolate cake ever.

Take any flavor of cake mix, put it in a bowl. Add a small can of pumpkin and mix it up. That's it! Now, I like to fool with everything, so I added a single serving size cup of organic-no-sugar-added-applesauce. You know the kind you put in kid's lunches? It made it so moist and sinful. I baked the mixture in little loaf pans (like cupcake pans, but loafs) and baked them at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or so. Check them after 20 mins.

I've made them with a chocolate cake mix, and the second time with a carrot cake mix. Both were delish! I threw some chocolate chips in the chocolate mixture and some cranberries in the carrot cake. Be inspired. I promise, it's so easy... and healthier than regular cake.

Here's my little sweetheart all grown up... She's a great cook and mother. I sure miss the cake mix running down her chin. Time flies.


No comments:

Post a Comment