Friday, May 13, 2016

Five On Friday - The 13th





Today being Friday the 13th, I thought I'd talk about that number. I'll be joining Love Made My Home for her Five On Friday blog party. Since I don't have any "13" related pictures, I threw in this one of an old covered wagon for interest.

First: The number 13 was our household's lucky number. My mother was born on May 13th (yes, her birthday is today), my father was born on December 13th, and they were married on August 13th. 

Second: I don't know if my mother was born on Friday the 13th, but indeed her birth was not considered lucky by her parents. She was a twin and the two of them were my grandparent's 12th and 13th children, born right with the Great Depression. She was named Betty and her twin brother was named Bill. Mom always said she stayed young by giving Bill all the birthdays. Uncle Bill died late last year and this will be mom's first birthday without him in 87 years.

Third: In 1969, my father's mother died in early December and, unfortunately, it worked out that she was buried on December 13th -- my father's birthday.

Fourth: During high school, I was taken with the study of weird things. I did my term papers on superstition and found out lots of interesting things. There's quite a few ideas on where the idea of 13 being an unlucky number came from, but most indicated it was because of the 13th person at the Last Supper bringing about the downfall of Jesus. Most people will tell you they're not superstitious, not knowing that a lot of our traditions came from superstition. For instance, did you have bridesmaids and groomsmen at your wedding? That tradition came about because people way back when believed they could trick the evil spirits by confusing them about who was the bride and groom. 

Fifth: When I was 13, the most tragic and lasting sorrow in my childhood happened. On November 22nd that year, President John F Kennedy was killed in Dallas. Like a lot of people, I took his death very hard. And things happened that weekend that changed the path of my life forever.

That's my five on Friday this week. Hope you don't run into any bad luck today. Stay safe, it's almost over.



Thanks for dropping by!






16 comments:

  1. That's a lot of '13' things. I don't know if I can come up with any!

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father and my youngest daughter were both born on a Friday the 13th...not one bit of bad luck!!

    Thanks for your visit at Thinking About Home! It's rather comforting that someone else has unfinished posts in the wings. Misery loves company, I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed reading your post about the 13th and how it has a place in your family's history. We don't have any birthdays that fall on the 13th. Enjoy your weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too really enjoyed this post, always interesting to hear someone else's perspective on the 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many things has happened in your life in the date 13. We use to say August as the luckiest month since most of my family members birthday falls on that month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible post so very interesting. I love learning new snippets and you've certainly done that for me today. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an interesting post on '13', all the more so because it is personal to you.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating post! I must admit that I am slightly wary of the number 13 so it was interesting to read all the facts in your post. I remember the news on television about the assasination of your President John F Kennedy, I was sitting on the floor of the front room and my sister in a chair and we both said 'Oh, No' - I was 13 too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting info on the number 13. I have few superstitions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, it is amazing just how much 13 has featured in your and your families life isn't it. I think that 13 must actually be a good thing for you! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, I hope you are having a good weekend. Sorry to be late visiting, I have been otherwise occupied as I said in my post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful and fascinating post! I loved reading about your Mom! We started going steady on Friday the 13th in October...in 1967. We've now been married almost 47 years. No bad luck there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post!
    13 does certainly play a big part in your life.
    I was really young, 6 actually, when Kennedy was shot but even at that young age, I remember it because my Dad, a man who was very strong and who didn't cry easily, was crying and it was so upsetting to have the adults crying. I was so scared.
    I hope you share someday how it changed the path of your life. You are so fascinating!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing the things that make 13 significant to you. I'm sorry to hear about all the losses that have occurred. My sister and her son share the same number.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow I did not know many of those things. Thanks, one never stops learning, if only one could remember. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sugar, I'm not superstitious, but I enjoyed reading about your 13's. And I love that old covered wagon photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So interesting. I think you showed there is no reason for it to be a supersticious number. Lot's of good and bad can happen on any day. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete