Thursday, October 5, 2017

You Can't Always Get What You Want



Bless my heart...I was on Pinterest last week looking at one thing and ended up at another. You know that 'ole rabbit hole that's easy to get sucked into?

Anyway, I saw some beautiful table settings, which of course made me think to myself:  "Sugar, you need some of those plates!"


I went to the website to see how much a set would be. The price was $298, which was OK by me...I just wanted to check how many there were in the set. 

My hopes of setting my future fancied-up table were dashed when I realized they wanted $298 a plate! COME ON! With tax that would be almost $3000 for just a set of 8 plates. 



A few days later, I went to a Vintage Market Days event where I spotted a lovely soup tureen, with a ladle, and a price tag of $19. 




As I was gleefully paying for the soup tureen, the vendor asked if I noticed the matching bowls on the same shelf? 

I told her I didn't really need bowls, but when she said they were $2 apiece...well, back I went for them!





Sadly, when she showed me the last piece she had, a matching platter for $19, I was stupid silly enough to pass it up! I've been kicking myself ever since.



To tell you the truth, I like the blue band a lot better than the green band around that $298 one. I figure I can always throw some acorns around the table to bring in that woodsy feel!



Thanks for dropping by!


Joining the party here:
Talk Of The Town Party
Share Your Cup 



9 comments:

  1. Wow! $3000 is a lot for sure, and glad you found some other really lovely pieces that were at bargain prices. Like you, I'm proud to be an Air Force veteran, and hope you have a great Friday! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief. They really wanted that much for a plate? I love what you bought instead. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Laura, they did. I have had the $298 plate saved on Pinterest for a while thinking I would check them out. I was shocked. Maybe it shows my lack of sophistication, but to me no plate is worth that much.

      Delete
  3. Whilst I loved the plate with the acorns on I would never pay that much for a plate. Like you the pieces from the Charity shop were a joy and a great price so would have been my choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch. $298 a plate. What brand were they? Great find on your bowls and tureen. I love antiquing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? You didn't buy a 4 piece place setting for 12 with those prices? lol It is a pretty piece though...but look what you got instead.

    Any chance the platter is still there? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a beautiful bargain. You really got lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good decision to pass on those expensive plates. Can you call the Market Days coordinator and find out who the vendor was? Maybe they could ship it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, the Vintage Market event is coming to a town nearby in Nov so I'm going first thing and looking for the vendor. I'm OK if she doesn't still have the platter.

      Delete