Saturday, July 14, 2018

Saturday Thoughts And Clarifications



The comments on my last post make me think I was not clear enough about where the birds (we think they are Barn Swallows) tried to build their nest. 

Right behind this high glass window is where the chandelier hangs. At night, when the chandelier is turned on, you can see it through the glass window...



I think some commenters thought the birds were nesting inside our house! They are actually up in the top of this area outside our front door.


I thought I'd show you how the outside entry is built and why it has a chandelier-type light hanging in it.



Our outside entry has a covered roof, but the doorway is wide open and so are the windows on each side of the entry. 

The chandelier is protected from rain and wind as it's positioned way up high.  When the chandelier shines through that high glass window it makes the house look very charming.




When we bought the house, there was a planting bed on either side of the enclosed entryway, and the walkway was straight with blocks of cement that made it hard to walk up to the house.

House In 2010

This is my father-in-law coming from the house when it was for sale. We signed the contract a few days later on New Year's Eve Day, Dec 31, 2010.


House and Walkway 2010

At the very top of our "To-Do List" back then was: "Replace The Dangerous Front Walkway" 

We had it done as soon as we saved up the money to do it, but after we put in the front patio. 

Small Patio Replaced Dying Planting Bed

The small flagstone patio got put in when all the plants in this area kept dying a slow painful death. It is one of the best things we did! 

Finally Putting A Safe Walkway In 2013

This east side of the house gets the morning sun and then is in full shade for the rest of the day. 

I Always Pictured A Curvy Walkway In Front Of The House

Our back patio, on the west-side of the house, gets full sun from 1 p.m. to sundown so you can find us on this shady little front patio on a hot summer afternoon.


Unfortunately, the nesting birds like this side of the house too. We couldn't step out the front door without them dive-bombing us!

Nest In High Up Chandelier In Outside Entry

I wonder which birdbrain it was who thought the crossbars in the chandelier was a secure place to raise their babies? I don't think it was the mama.




Thanks for dropping by!



12 comments:

  1. Well, I was one of those people and quite concerned so thanks for the explanation! It makes a lot more sense (and it looks lovely!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barn swallows love porches! To identify them, look for their little bow tie on their throat. They're very cute, but territorial. They've nested on our porch and TRIED in our garage! Every time we opened a door, one would fly in! That battle lasted about a week before they gave up. Now, we're careful about keeping the doors shut, especially if we're not in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you meant because the same thing has happened to us, Sugar. LOL....and we have mourning doves that have built on a wreath that sits on a seldom used side door. They truly ARE bird brains.

    Hope you have a good, blessed Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by!!! I laughed when you mentioned beer. It is actually soda because Joe stopped drinking 31 years ago.....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, LOL...I don't drink either. Just making a joke cuz he looked so comfortable on your porch.

      Delete
  5. I love that area and the walkway too! But not a good place for a nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari, just discovered the birds built a nest in my dryer vent which is on a low part of the roof. It's always something!

      Delete
  6. I love how your house is built. I did understand what you meant though and didn't think the birds were building inside. I bet it really is pretty to have the chandelier on and that high window lit up. That curved path looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a long way up to be making a baby bed for baby birds LOL
    I'm sure a few fall as eggs?
    Your house is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Luckily we didn't let them get far enough to complete the nest. I wouldn't want to dodge eggs along with the dive-bombing birds.

      Delete
  8. Birds and bees have a habit of building their nests in the most inconvenient places possible. I know this sounds awful but I just get a hose and blast the nests down. I do try to wait until they are empty first though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Cool...we thought of blasting down the nest, but electricity and water don't mix. I got a good tip to hire a chimney sweep and I've got a call in.

    ReplyDelete