Thursday, August 13, 2020

Lucky 13


 The number 13 is my lucky number. My father was born on December 13th, my mother was born on May 13th, and they got married on August 13th. Yep...that means today would be their anniversary if they were still married.

My dad died in 1994, but they had been divorced since 1956. Despite that, he loved my mom until the day he died. They married very young during World War II when he was only 19 and she was just 16. He always said they were just way too young when they got married.

My dad was in the Navy and home on leave during the war when he saw my mother headed into the roller skating rink with a group of friends. He was smitten with her and followed them in.

Someone yelled, "Betty, I have first skate with you!" and my dad yelled, "Betty, I have second skate with you!" Then he followed them into the roller rink and put on skates just so he could skate with her and find out who she was.

Dad said it was love at first sight for him. I do believe it was. They dated for the 2 weeks he was home, and he asked her to marry him before the second week. When she said yes, he had a big heart tattoo put on his left arm, above the wrist, with an arrow through the heart and the words Don & Betty boldly filling the center of the heart!

Despite the early divorce, they remained friends all their lives. My two step-mothers both asked repeatedly that dad have his tattoo covered over...he refused. It was still there the day he died.


Thanks for dropping by!





14 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. Glad they remained friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story. So glad they stayed friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents also got divorced in 1956! And my dad married my stepmother, whose birthday is today. My Dad died in 1994 and when I told my Mum that he had died she said "I always loved him. Every day of my life I have loved him"...I always thought that was so sad....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story, hope things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That he loved her till the day he died is a beautiful memory to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet, sweet story...hoping you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice love story. I'm glad they remained friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a sweet story. Can't remember the yeaar my mom and dad divorced but they were married for 25 years .Mama remarried and so did my dad. After mama moved into her apartment in an assisted living village here in Louisburg (she was 90), she was always telling me that she felt like daddy was there with her. One morning she told me that daddy was sitting in her living room, snapping beans. She never stopped loving daddy. Sad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a sweet story melba. My mom is 90 now. She’s doing well but you reminded me I really need to go see her while I can.

      Delete
  9. What a sweet story. It reminded me how I glad I am that on my last trip to my Dad's (on the very last trip, he was in the hospital and died) I asked him to tell the story of how he met my mother. I already knew it, but it was such a joy hearing him tell it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute story.....Our anniversary was on the 12th...42 years and surprisingly we have not killed each other yet!! LOL!
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a nice story about your mom and dad. Too bad they got married so young but I think a lot of people did that during the war. I love that he loved her until the day he died though!

    ReplyDelete