Friday, January 1, 2016

It's A Wrap...Jaysa's Chandelier



A while back, Middle Daughter's chandelier started getting an overhaul. Jaysa wanted a Pottery Barn chandelier, and I told her she just needed to paint her's...sounds so easy, right? 

Well it was. Easy on me anyway...she did most of the work!
In early Fall, I started it for her. Did all the easy parts. Then I went home the next day and she had to climb way up and paint the chain and the cap at the ceiling. 
 She said the worst was getting a brush into the area where the spokes of the chandelier meet at the top of the light, just before the chain. 
She had wanted to take it down and spray paint it, but her not-so-brilliant mother said:
 "Why not just paint it in place with chalk paint?"
I often make an easy project into a very complicated one - It's my gift! You can read how it started last September here. This is the original Pottery Barn light that started it all.
And this is what her chandelier looked like before it got its makeover. She had taken off one ugly globe and tried an Edison light in one socket on the left there, you know...just to see.
The only thing left is to paint all the white sockets that hold the Edison bulbs. 
But since we are visiting her again right now, she and I are debating whether she could make a cover for each socket out of the center of toilet paper rolls and just paint them black and slip them on. Like I said before, it gets very complicated in my world!

The room is a work-in-progress right now, and it's hard to get a good picture with the way the light from the window works. 

When the room is done, I'll post it. Meanwhile, Middle Daughter is painting her woodwork white (see top orange wood trim), working on a chalkboard she made but had a 'fail' on the stained wood frame of it (see above picture) and adding more trim to the baseboards, etc. 

Thanks for dropping by and...
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!










16 comments:

  1. A lot of work, but it looks good. My poor husband had to paint our dining room 3 times before I was marginally happy with it. Decorating is not for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love the creative flair and how "transformed" the light is! Whatever is decided to do about the light covers, I know it'll make it that much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really didn't think the light was "ugly" to start with, but, I do love how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, I actually like the light it was the globes I referred to as ugly. They are truly not Jaysa's style and the chandelier looks so much better without the globes.

      Delete
    2. Irene, I actually like the light it was the globes I referred to as ugly. They are truly not Jaysa's style and the chandelier looks so much better without the globes.

      Delete
  4. Rivercrest Cottage,
    I love it when a plan comes together!!!
    Even when it may take a curve on the road to success!!! Keep up the good work. . .it's going to be fabulous!!!
    Happy New Year!!!
    May all your hopes for 2016 come to be!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's looking great and all that hard work will be worth it in the end... :)

    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please Sharon, just paint the white parts...I am not so sure paper wouldn't get hot near the bulbs. I just worry like that. There's paint that takes heat well. I do love the total look of it now...You were right why buy new when a make over can make even something that dated into something new and fashionable. Blessings to all of you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your daughter is very lucky to have you!
    I love your ideas and I'm sure it will look perfect but I kinda worry about paper getting hot too!
    Have fun and Happy New Year!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Cindi, I may have had some brandy in my eggnog when I suggested cutting up and painting toilet paper rolls. I think it was just to see what color looked best before doing anything permanently to the sockets.

      Delete
  8. Great job! It's so similar to the PB inspiration. Love those deep colored walls too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't funny how a good idea can turn into such a big job! You really are good at decorating and have good ideas. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just like you - "oh, I can paint it in place" and I'll start it about 3 hours before company is coming.

    Have a great 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the transformation...it looks so much better...just beautiful! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year Sugar and the candy looks great and you have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like those lightbulbs. I've been seeing lot of those around, and xmas lights in jars. Love the industrial simple look!

    ReplyDelete