Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Wagon Wheels West




Salado (pronounced Sa-lay-doe) is down in central Texas where we used to live, and it's one of my favorite towns. Most of the buildings were built in the early 1800's, and it's still is a thriving little town.

I love all the old buildings and stuff you can still find in Salado. There was still a lot of original "early settler" things left around town the last time I was there. 

This old covered wagon is on the grounds of an old Inn. It still has the ribs that held the covering, but otherwise it's in pretty rough shape.

 The old wooden wheels are rusting up, along with all the rest of the metal holding the wood in place.


Don't think I'd trust these old "step-up's" any more, but I'm sure it was once secure and strong.

I always wonder who sat in the back on that hard wood floor? I'll bet they huddled under their homemade patchwork quilts and made what they used to call "pallets" with covers and quilts to protect their bums from the hard surface and any sharp splinters that may be sticking out.
I took these pictures back in 2011 when my camera was just a cheap point-and-shoot and even that was probably more than I could handle back then! I know the pictures are not the best quality, but wanted you to see how they put these old wagons together.

Most Texans drive pick-ups now, but the bed of the new-fangled trucks really aren't that much different in size than the back of this old wagon from decades gone by. Funny how some things never change.


Thanks for dropping by!











8 comments:

  1. Dear Sharon:
    I know several people whose families came across the midwest on one of those "back in the day". I went to college with a gal from Nebraska and her grandparents did and lived in a Soddy too! Thanks for sharing how bested we are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds and looks like a fun place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post, I found it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!
    It blows me away to think about traveling across the country in a covered wagon.
    I hope you show more of the town, it sounds like it would be a fun place to visit.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post, I remember a number of small towns like that in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post enjoyed the wagon.. Happy Wednesday, with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great trip down memory lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right! I never thought of that. Those wagons probably provided a very bumpy slow ride too. I love learning the history of things like that.

    ReplyDelete