Sunday, July 27, 2014

Smoothies To Improve Your Health



Have you gotten on the chia seed trend yet?

We've been adding them to our food for
the last two months, especially smoothies,
which we drink for lunch every other day.
 I try not to add whip to the top, 
but I wanted to make them pretty for you.


There's just no pretty way to show this...
just dump in frozen fruit (we like strawberries
and bananas), liquids (kefir, juice, even cold tea)
and chia seeds, then mix until well blended.

If you like your smoothie sweeter, just add a little
honey. If you like it thinner, add more liquid.

Kefir is a probiotic and honey is anti-bacterial.
If you're germaphobic like me, you'll add both
of these to your everyday foods.


If you don't like kefir, you can add yogurt. 
We've been trying to consume 4 oz of kefir each day
since Dr. Oz told how good it is for you!

Now, I'm not a yogurt eater. I would describe kefir as
tasting like liquid yogurt - ugh - but if you put it in
 a smoothie you can't really taste it.
And, remember, it's really good for you!

 
At first we added just a little of the chia seeds
to our diet, then we bought this cookbook
($11 at Sam's Club) and learned just how
much chia seeds can improve your health...

A tablespoon of chia seeds contain 4 to 5
grams of fiber! In addition to that, chia
seeds add healthy omega 3 oils to your diet,
help balance your blood sugar, add anti-
oxidants to your diet, and can be substituted
for half the fat in baked goods.

So now, we've started putting them in everything.
I even made a stir fry tonight and stirred in five
tablespoons of chia seeds after it was cooked.

The chia seeds don't have any flavor, so they take
on the taste of whatever you mix them with.

If you taste them at all (we couldn't taste them in
the stir fry), I would say they taste kind of like
a nutty tapioca. 

This post is about my opinion only.
I received no monetary compensation for this post.
Chia seeds are available in most supermarkets.

For more information about chia seeds, the
cookbook gives the following website:

Thanks for dropping by!

I hope you'll let me know if you add chia
seeds to your food.

Joining the party at:

5 comments:

  1. I have had one smoothie in my life and I loved it. Now I need a blender!! Thanks for the info. Interesting. I admit I'd rather have frozen strawberries and bananas and icecream LOL!!!! I know, my darkside is showing HAHAA! Seriously thanks and I will look for the seeds and I love yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness that looks delicious. I haven't tried it in smoothies yet, but I do add it to my oatmeal every morning. I've been seeing a lot of chia pudding recipes on Pinterest and I've been just itching to try one of them out. Maybe I'll get a chance to try one this week. I'll let you know how it turns out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched Dr. Oz for a very long time. Nor have I heard of cia seeds, I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW I love learning about this. I have not used Chia seeds yet but your post has inspired me to try. I watch Dr. Oz all the time but must have missed this. Your smoothie looks so delicious and yet healthy,
    Thank you for sharing and also for stopping by and your kind comment.
    I have enjoyed my visit here today and now your newest follower.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete