Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Iced In...Texas Style





About once a year we get iced in.
It's a Texas thing.

When snow comes down it's wet here.
The snow is wet I mean.

Some places I've lived the snow is drier.
But here, the snow is wet and when the sun
comes out it starts to melt the snow, then it gets
cold again and the melted snow turns to ice. 

More snow, more melt, then more freeze,
so...more ice!

Last Sunday the snow/freeze/ice thing started
in the afternoon. We've been iced in for 2 days.
No one went anywhere.

Finally this afternoon the big thaw started and
we were able to get out of our driveway. YAY!

I didn't go outside this time to take pictures,
but here's a picture from Dec 2013:
We were iced in for 4 days back then.

I know people in Boston with their big banks of
snow would laugh at us. But if you've ever tried to
walk or drive on a sheet of ice you'd understand.

Thanks for skidding dropping in!


6 comments:

  1. I know what you;re talking about. It took two day for our ice storm last week to melt. Thank goodness that all melted before this next storm comes in. It has just started. Now they're saying we could get 11 inches. Your house is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how treacherous the ice storms were when we lived in Austin. I totally get it! Stay home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HATE ice...we have 4 inches of snow on the ground this morning, still snowing and COLD......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd much rather drive in snow than in ice. Ice is really scary. I'm glad you were finally able to get out. Have a great weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rivercrest Cottage,
    ICE can be very dangerous!!!
    Stay safe and stay warm, dear friend!!!
    Spring is only 19 days away!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was crazy. My brother shared with me that roads up north are treated with something to make them not freeze. We don't do that here in Texas so we get these terrible ice events. Stay safe this week too. It might happen again.

    ReplyDelete