Tuesday, June 19, 2018

A "Nothing Is A Coincidence" Moment




I pulled some muscles sitting and sleeping all night in a chair in my mother-in-law's hospital room on June 5th, the day the doctors removed her from all life support equipment. 


Jessie Riding "Shot-Gun" With Me In Better Days

Jessie passed away on June 7th. It was a busy time for us with my 95-year-old father-in-law to comfort and care for, a funeral to arrange, a serious medical issue my husband was faced with along with taking care of Jessie's personal possessions and finances. 

I ignored my sore back and it slowly got much worse!  Last Saturday, I finally went to our doctor's urgent care clinic to get muscle relaxers for my back. Whenever I'm in a stressful situation, my back is my weak point. 

Because the urgent care clinic closes at noon on Saturdays, the doctor printed the prescription instead of faxing it to our pharmacy. Sometimes there's a problem with the machines' interaction and the kind doctor wanted to make sure the prescription got there with no problem.

When I dropped off the prescription, the technician obviously wanted me to leave the store and come back later in the day to pick it up. She said it would be at least an hour before they would have it filled. 

I said that's OK, that I would just look around because my back made it too painful to get in and out of my car. She weakened a little.

I also asked her to put notification in their records that my mother-in-law was recently deceased in case she had prescriptions on automatic renewal. She softened a lot.

Just 10 minutes later, I got a text message from the Pharmacy section that my prescription was ready for pick-up. I headed back across the store and went to the "pick-up" window where another clerk completed my transaction.

I passed the "drop-off" window where the first clerk was talking to a young woman with 2 small children in her shopping cart. Something made me stop and wait to say thank you to the clerk for expediting my prescription.

The young woman, with phone in hand, told the clerk her husband said he could wait until payday for the medicine since the Co-Pay was more than they could afford at $48.

Thinking of my mother-in-law and how drugs had relieved her suffering as she left this world for the next, I asked the woman if she would be able to pay for the medicine if I paid $20 of it? 

She said yes, but that she couldn't accept the money from me.  As I handed the clerk the money, I said to the young woman: "Well it's not from me, it's from my mother-in-law!"  

I told her my mother-in-law's funeral was 4 days before and I was 100% sure she had orchestrated the situation that brought me to that register at just that moment. 

I think an angel was trying to earn her wings that day. Just to make sure she does, I plan to help my mother-in-law earn her wings every chance I get for the next year. I hope you will too! 

And if you do have one of those "nothing is a coincidence" moments too, I hope you'll come back and let me know about it with a comment. I would love to hear about the sweet goodness in the world.



Thanks for dropping by!


32 comments:

  1. Wow. Just WOW. You are amazing. And, so, clearly, was your MIL. :: flabbergasted in a good way ::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't me Willow. God works in mysterious ways. I only regret I didn't fully listen to him and pay the full amount.

      Delete
  2. Take care of your MIL. She will be feeling comfort soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law passed away on June 7th. Her poems were often about Heaven and God, and I'm very sure she is enjoying being there with Him now.

      Delete
  3. Bless you and your mother in law. I have been in the situation where my husband needed meds and we could not afford them as we did not have health insurance at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, so have I. Once I was so broke and my dryer broke down too. With a newborn in cloth diapers, a 2 year old and a Kindergartener, I desperately needed that dryer. I walked them to the hardware store to buy some clothesline rope. In a very unusual way, I found $40 on the ground and it literally changed my life. Up until 2011, I use to keep $40 in my purse just to give away when needed. Why I stopped I'll never know, but last Saturday I should've given $40. It was a lesson I needed to be reminded of. My purse has a special envelop with $40 in it once again. I'm going to be ready for the next opportunity God and Jessie send my way.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely, lovely gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a wonderful thing to do. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better quickly.
    What a kind and wonderful thing to do. There are no accidents! God guides us where we are needed.

    There are angels among us!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post!! I am sure you were there exactly at that moment because your MIL wanted you to be there to help that young woman. what a lovely thing to do in your MIL's memory....And I am sure that that young woman will remember this and some time in the future, when things are better for her, she just may do the same thing for someone else, thinking of what you did for her. I think because of the way things are now in this country, we need kindness and generosity more than ever....
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! So sorry for your loss and I hope both you and your husband feel better...
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will remember your loving gesture and watch
    for a chance to do the same.
    Simba

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! ❤️
    Prayers for relief and healing.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely thing to do and your post has reminded me of something that my partner recently did. I must blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely story, you know I have you and your husband in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet, we appreciate all prayers and good thoughts. Wild Bill started chemo yesterday.

      Delete
  12. So sorry about your mother in law and your back pain! This story brought a tear to my eye. Paying forward for your mother in law. Now that's wonderful!!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful tale on how God works in mysterious ways still!
    The Lord bless you for your obedience 😍

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bless you, so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure you loved her enough to let her go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great story and a great tribute to your mother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joey sent me. And my eyes are misting. Thank you, and your MIL so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You brought tears to my eyes. This was just what I needed to read about today. Thank you for sharing. I hope Wild Bill's chemo goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm here from Joey's place. I love this - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Things like this help restore faith in humanity, you are such a kind and sweet person.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, visiting from Joey's. What a sweet story to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a God moment to me! My sympathy in the death of your Mother In Law.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those wings are getting fuller and fuller. This is truly beautiful and I am so very grateful you shared the story with us. I hope by now your back is better. I know that Jessie must have been so grateful to have you with her at that time of transition and I offer you wishes for peace and healing in your journey through loss. It's a hard one. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember crossing a bridge in Wales The charge for crossing was only 5p. I had 20p left so gave it to the collector and saidThat’s got excited and the next three vehicles. It wasn’t much of a gesture but I hope it made so meone’s day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely thing to do in memory of your mother-in-law. I sometimes do this type of thing because I know it is what my mother would have done. They sound like they had similiar wonderful and generous souls.

    I have been thinking about you and all of the trauma you have been going through. My thoughts and prayers have been with you. I hope that all might be well soon.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately we are unable to change the direction life is heading, but through aggressive chemo might reduce the progress a little. We are working to make the world slow down a little so we can enjoy the year we have and make it the best we can.

      Delete
  25. I don't believe in coincidence. Things happen for a reason. I love this story.

    ReplyDelete