Thursday, September 17, 2020

Finally Fall And Decorating Dilemmas

 

The cool weather has finally started showing up for us here in the middle of the country. YAY!


I was looking at old posts on my blog here, trying to figure out what I might have left in my storage bins to decorate with for fall. 

The photos of this pumpkin-scarecrow make me happy. I've loved the scarecrow for many years now, and I believe I kept him. I won't know for sure until I tackle all the bins in the garage.


I have to admit, I made so many bad choices when we sold the house so quickly! The things I loved didn't seem important right then...they were just things after all, right?


Yes that's true, but they were also packed with memories of all our 26 years together. Wild Bill loved to tease me when I started getting out my bins marked FALL. 

He would shake his head and ask (in his best Texan twang) if we were "Ah fixin' to decorate?"  


I was thinking I might skip the fall decorating this year. Maybe I'm a little afraid I got rid of all my fall decor in my haste to get the house cleared out during our move from Texas. 


We sold our house right away. Then the couple buying our house sold their farmhouse in one day after signing our contract. We went from having a month to get things done, to having to get it all done right away as the closing date kept moving sooner and sooner. 

I know for sure I sold and gave away things that I really would've kept if I hadn't been so stressed at the time. Please learn from my mistakes!


I put all the decorations in moving boxes and gave away the old bins marked with the season they held. The boxes were in storage until we bought a house in Mississippi where Wild Bill wanted to continue treatment. 

Oldest Daughter and I moved the storage boxes from Texas to our Mississippi garage right before Wild Bill took a turn for the worst and everything was forgotten for a time. 



When I sold the Mississippi house at the end of Feb, I donated and gave away a lot more than I should have...that's how I ended up here today wondering if any of my favorite fall decorations are in those unmarked bins in the garage? 

I'm going to tackle the bins today, and we'll see in a few days what survived.


Thanks for dropping by!



27 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me. I loved seasonal decorating and we were in our 'forever' home when my husband died suddenly. I let go of many things that made the holidays special.
    Make new memories. It seems impossible, I know, but what else can we do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Jan. It's good to know that others have gotten through the bad times and have been able to right themselves.

      Delete
  2. It's sad to think you may have lost the things that brought you good memories, but now you can start over and make new memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course. Trying to get through the rest of the year using just what I have. I'm not sure where I'll be this time next year. Hopefully, it gets easier after the first year.

      Delete
  3. I sure hope you find some of your treasures. I intentionally waited over a year to do any of that 'getting rid' of.
    I haven't even gotten to the basement where all the holiday stuff is stored.

    I know you moved many times and your mind was clouded with worry and stress. Just remember your memories are in your head/heart - not those things. Things can be replaced.
    Good luck finding things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I wish I hd been able to just sit tight and leave things in storage. But it was a hectic time and I'm afraid I just gave up on everything but Bill's health. I knew better than to make so many decisions, but live and learn I guess.

      Delete
  4. Fall decorating is not something I have seen here in New Zealand but I know all about getting rid of things in a hurry. When Max and I moved down here from our five acre block we had very little time to sort out what to keep and what to bin and I know a lot was kept that should not have been and vice versa. Also when I moved to Doug's when we got married I had to get rid of a lot as it was 2 houses into one. A lot is still stored in sheds. I know a lot of books should have been kept. I hope you have some luck when you hunt for your treasures. Look forward to seeing what you found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you've given me an idea to feature some things that I find that have a special meaning. I have just been avoiding tackling the bins all week. Now I have a reason to get to it. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I hope your boxes are full of the things you really loved. You did what you did at the time because you were focussing your energies on Wild Bill not "things" and that was the right thing to do at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mr Cool, I don't regret focusing on important things that were happening. I think I was running on empty at the time. Losing both his parents and then Bill certainly took a toll. Hoping to find a few treasures though. I know all his favorite ties are somewhere in the bins...the ties that bind.

      Delete
  6. I hope you find some of your things. I loved that crow in your decorations. Good luck with your search. And I am glad you posted again, it's good to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Granny! Good to hear from you too. I'm reading and following even when I don't always comment. Know I am there!

      Delete
  7. That happened to me too. I was so overwhelmed with packing and getting ready to move quickly that I gave so much away too. Now I regret giving some of the things away. Good to see you posting. Hope you are doing well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris. I'm getting on my feet. It's been hard with the shutdown and all, but things are getting better.

      Delete
  8. I do hope you are successful with your hunt through the boxes. Either way you will know what it is in the unmarked boxes. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't purging in your stressful circumstances, just minimizing, and I have a couple of regrets. But I just remind myself that the memories in *me* not my stuff. But I hope you find some of your treasures. It was such a pleasure to get the email that you've posted again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment Jean. Please keep those delicious recipes coming.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I hope you find all the pieces you used to put out for fall. I remember most of the things, especially the scarecrow. You are so good at decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Henny Penny. Your little garden is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you find that you kept favorite pieces.

    Thanks for the sweet comment on my last blog post. I need to write one quickly or I will miss posting in the month of September completely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope that you will find your fall decorations in the garage or the energy to buy new ones. I hope that it is OK to say that I have a horror of scarecrows. I am sure that as soon as I turn my back on them they will come to live and... well, not sure, do something.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found a box of Summer shoes that I couldn't find from our last move! And now we're moving again!! Hope you find all the missing pieces! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So now, darling, you open those boxes and bins, pull out the things that you did keep, and then start making and collecting new things. I've recently gone through something similar after a move. You are right. They are things. Yes many hold memories, but just think, you do have photos of many on your blog where you've recorded your memories.
    As you collect new things to collect the old, I'm sure that you'll find some things that will bring Wild Bill to mind. Hugs to you sweetie!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a garage full of Halloween stuff. This year around we couldn't do much decoration with no family around due to Covid flu. Regards, Naomi Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you found that you kept Mr. Pumpkinhead! I am so sorry your husband passed away. I am sure you have had so many adjustments. I hope your move has been helpful!

    ReplyDelete