Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Organizing And Tags



With my true spirit of complicating things, I don't think it would surprise you to know I have an obsession for tags. Big ones, little ones, round ones, square ones...I can't seem to pass them up. 
Some time back, in a moment of zen creativity no doubt,  I even tried to make my own just to see how they would turn out. Don't laugh now...I'm going to show you how I attempted to make some round ones by painting cardboard coasters from a local sandwich shop. Ya gotta love the effort, right?

I used chalkboard paint and had big plans to add holes for ribbon. Then I found some real, round-shaped wooden ones at Michaels that looked much better than my concoction and that put an end to that artistic endeavor. 
Someday I'm going to paint this cabinet as it's dark and just sucks in the dust. But for now, I'm on an organizing and purging kick so painting will have to wait. When I do get around to painting, I'll know right where to find my miscellaneous paint tools.
 have collected so many tags, I even have a basket with a "tag" for the tags!
I bought these smaller tags the other day at Michaels. I didn't take a before picture so I'll just tell you how ugly it looked with a variety of larger tags, all mixed up together, on the baskets. I don't know why I waited so long to make them all match. Yes, we tend to be a little Cray-Cray around here!

Besides Michaels, Hobby Lobby and Target are good places to find reasonably priced tags. The best tip I can give you is to make sure you buy more than you think you'll need. If you have to go back to buy extra, they may not carry them anymore. And don't throw the used ones out...you can always paint over the writing with white paint and use them again.

Here's an example of how mixed up colors and tags can make an otherwise organized closet look messy. I'll be tackling this area next. I plan to use the larger tags like the three with the ribbons shown here, but use all the same color and size. I also plan to add more bins in the same gray color and same size to hide the lampshades and such.
So that's it for my organizing and purging progress this week. I keep going back and re-reading Marie Kondo's book, The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up, just to remind myself to stay on track and "purge" the unneeded stuff out of the house and only store what I'll actually use.

I'm joining Mrs Olson's Share Your Cup party. Hope you'll pop over and see what everyone is sharing.



Thanks for dropping by!



Joining The Party Here:
Mrs Olson's Share Your Cup


12 comments:

  1. Oh... I buy more than I need too for the same reason! xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea, I blackboard painted some wooden flowers and glued them to pegs which will now attach to plastic containers, they look quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tags. I agree that you need more than you think. I always seem to want to redo my print to make them perfect. I love your cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used them, but I love the way that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so organized it's scary. My way of doing it is to put stuff away and forget where I put it and have to buy new to replace it, then I find it.
    As to your fruitcake question from your previous post, the best use of a fruitcake is as a doorstop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, agree with you wholeheartedly on the doorstop statement! Another good use is to tell my husband it's a good alternative to my cooking dinner. "Go for it, Babe! It's got lots of fiber and I ain't cooking."

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of some collecting tags before. : )
    Don't use them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happyone: you made me laugh out loud with this quip. I find I end up collecting many things that others would shake their head over! Not really collections, but more like 'trial and error' remnants.

      Delete
  7. Nice labels... good to be organized... and in such a pretty way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I love your tags! Your printing is superb. :) Your "tags" tag made me chuckle. Now THAT is organized. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving all your lovely comment. I appreciate all the encouragement! Hugs P.S. Great advice about buying more tags than needed in case the store doesn't continue to stock them. It's so frustrating when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tags too! They just add a little something to whatever they are attached to. I need to do some serious organizing in my craft room. Haven't made it in there since Christmas crafting. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete