Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Can I Have This Dance?




Yesterday on the Veterans Day holiday, my WWII father-in-law Raymond left this world to join Jessie, his sweetheart of 71 years.


Jessie and Raymond, Now Together Forever

We do not grieve for him as we all knew when Jessie passed last June that Raymond would be impatient to once again be by his wife's side.

All his life Raymond loved to dance, and it was at a dance club in Dallas Texas back in 1947 that he asked a shy girl (sitting far back at a table with her friends) to come dance with him. 

The music was lively, so Jessie said yes. Due to a paralyzed arm  (which was injured by the doctor at birth) Jessie seldom danced to slow songs because she could not lift her paralyzed arm to a slow dance position.

When the fast dance ended, Raymond did his best to keep the pretty stranger on the dance floor with him for a slow dance. 

Jessie would have none of it, and she told Raymond she did not dance slow dances! 

Now Raymond prided himself on his dancing prowess (and of course he thought he could change her mind) so he smugly asked, "Why not?"

Jessie's quick response was to point to her limp right arm and retort (in 1947 language), "I'm crippled!"

And an amused Raymond (who grew up with his beloved deaf older brother) shot right back, "Isn't everyone?"

They danced.




Thanks for dropping by!









20 comments:

  1. And they are dancing in Heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful love story and once again together again, hopefully dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always sad when someone we love passes away, but it sounds like your father in law is in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the way they would wish to be remembered. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. I bet they are sharing the dance floor with my parents. They loved to dance too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you wrote about your dad's 100th birthday. I thought for sure our Pop would get there too the way he was going, but about 2 weeks ago, Jessie started spending time with him in his dreams and he was so happy to be with her again! I knew it was just a matter of time as I believe she was showing him it was time to join her. I'm happy for him and for her, their gravestone says "Together Forever Married March 1, 1947"

      Delete
  6. Sorry for your family's loss, he sounds like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for the families loss. What a lovely story and a lovely way at looking at the passing. I am sure he has her in his arms and they are dancing forever!
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Jitterbug dancers and I hope Heaven has a big dance floor so he can lift her and swing her like he says he did when they were in their 20's!

      Delete
  8. What a sweet sweet love story. They sure made the perfect couple. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like they couldn't be without one another.
    That love story, the bravado, the acumen; and now, we know the rest of the story. Godspeed, Raymond.
    Sending a hug your way.
    xoxo
    Su

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful story! I'm so sorry for your loss but it is great to know that they are once again together...dancing! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This story made me laugh and cry at the same time. sending my prayers that his way to his lovely Jessie will be filled with light and grace. Hugs to all of you who loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for your loss but so nice to know that he has joined his Jessie in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Isn't everyone?" How true and what a lovely story.
    Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry to hear about your father-in-law but I know he is in a better place with his beloved wife.

    I love that story-what a wonderful man he was and the perfect response to her reply. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I have tears in my eyes.....such a lovely story - truly inspiring. May they dance forever in eternity. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry for your loss! And such a beautiful and moving tribute. I cannot think of a nicer way to remember someone than "he loved to dance".
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like everyone, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sweet, sweet story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete