I've been having quite a painting party
here in the cottage. Nothing finished, but
lots of starts.
My main effort has been painting this table
and four chairs that I bought for $20 at a garage
sale when we visited middle daughter last June.
Do you think Wild Bill was thrilled to learn
we had to haul them home? ...yeah, right!
The seat covers were pretty good, just a few
water stains. Painting them seemed easier than
removing and recovering them.
You can see the type stain they had in the upper
right corner of the chair seat in this picture.
I used an old can of Behr paint in a white color
called Popcorn and a quart of Ben Moore's paint (in
a buttery yellow color) to make an off-white color.
I added a 50/50 mix of Plaster of Paris and water
to make the paint chalky, using about 3 tablespoons
of each and mixing it up in a disposable paper bowl
before pouring it into the paint in the pint jar.
To paint the chair seats, first I wet the material
with the water I cleaned off my brush in.
I'm nothing if not
Next I dipped the wet brush in a little paint and
kind of water-washed the paint on.
You need to let the thin coats dry between
coats, and it helps to use a piece of fine-grade
sandpaper every couple of coats to make the
material smoother and less stiff.
If you try this, be sure to paint the seat's material
first, as the watery paint will drip onto the legs
and you can then just spread that out in a
thin first coat on the legs as you go.
When the seats are completely coated and dry,
I'll smooth them with a little more sandpaper
and finish them with Annie Sloan's soft wax.
Hope you'll join the "progress party" at...
Monday party here:
and also at Distressed Donna's