Thursday, March 22, 2018

A Tea Idea From Decor To Adore




Stored away in a cabinet was a vintage candy dish. At least I thought it was a candy dish, but now I'm not too sure.



My mother-in-law had several family pieces that are vintage and antique glass, which she kindly passed down to me.  



Recently I saw a post about an impromptu tea at Laura's blog, Decor To Adore

I loved how Laura used a similar glass bowl to display her sugar cubes when setting her table for tea.


Laura's Victorian Tea Party

Laura's post inspired me to get my candy bowl out and shine it up. I thought I'd use it for sugar cubes just like she did.



Honestly, after I got to thinking about it I realized what I thought was a candy dish, probably was meant to be a sugar dish originally. It would make more sense given the era that it comes from.



What do you think it was meant to be? Candy dish or sugar dish?




From now on, I'll be using the little glass bowl for sugar cubes, and I'll store it in the glass kitchen cabinet along with the other tea stuff. 



As you can see here, the tea cups and the white tea pot are ready for  an impromptu tea party. If you'd like to see the rest of Laura's lovely post, here it is Victorian Tea In 10 Minutes.



Thanks for dropping by!



14 comments:

  1. If you put sugar cubes in it, it will be very popular next week with two little sugar fiends I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to be sugar, I think, but I'd fill it with mini jelly beans or M&Ms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sugar! I read Laura's post on her tea awhile back, and loved it. I think your dish looks perfect for sugar cubes. Don't you love how we inspire one another?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think sugar...only because my grandma had a sugar bowl on her dinning room table and it was much larger. It's a very pretty dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugar, I'd definitely use it as a sugar bowl on the tea table. Of course, I might be prejudice, I don't even eat candy. Sugar cubes always make me wish I sugared my tea, but I don't. Just a little splash of milk sometimes, if the tea is strong enough to stand up to it. Beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it was a sugar bowl. It's beautiful and I am sure it will look terrific on your table with any tea or coffee.

    Have a great week and Happy Easter.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I have one of these and now I am going to do this, too!! It's been sitting on a shelf ignored for far too long. I need to remedy that with a bit of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful dish and I think you're right about it being used for sugar. Sugar cubes would be perfect. Now I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful dish, you can certainly enjoy it regardless of what you put in it. So glad you got it out and plan to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet story ... yes sometimes it’s hard to know what those vintage pieces are for ..I do struggle with the cutlery pieces... heavens they had a fork and spoon for everything( ha Ha) ... but I can remember my grandmother having a sugar bowl with a lid that looked very much like yours....Have a HAPPY EASTER !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dish is Early American Pattern Glass, made by US Glass Company in 1910. The pattern is Georgia, also known as Peacock or Peacock Feather. A really nice piece! Back then sugar came in lumps, so sugar bowls were larger.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Granny Sue, I'm sure glad I held on to it as it has become one of my favorite pieces.

      Delete