Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Use It Or Lose It Wednesday



Still downsizing my crap stuff. My goal is to reduce my "stash" by 50 percent, so we've developed a use it or lose it attitude. While a lot of stuff has gone out the door, some I've kept to fix-up and paint. Here's my latest creation...
A lot of people have been making these tiered trays with old plates or pans and candle holders. This one is made with a terracotta saucer and an old candle holder.
I made sure the terracotta saucer fit the cloche I had. If you don't have an old terracotta saucer, you can buy one at a local hardware store in the garden section for $2 or $3 depending on the size you need.
I bought some Amy Howard paint in the color Linen recently, so I used that to paint the candle holder and terracotta saucer. The candle holder is wood with a small metal piece on top. 

After I was happy with the paint coverage (3 or 4 thin coats), I used Miss Mustard Seed's clear wax to give the paint a little protection. It was what was handiest today. Any of that type of wax would work.
I eyeballed centering the candle holder on the bottom of the saucer, then I put some sturdy glue on the rim of the top of the candle holder and put them together. 
I used this project glue that I already had, but Gorilla Glue or E-6000 or the like would work just as well. 

OK! Now we're at the fancy part!!! I looked around the kitchen in a panic for something that was heavy and would fit in the saucer...
The idea was to weigh down the top so the glue would bond well. Just in case, I threw in two cans of salmon to add as much weight as I could. 
TA-DA!!!
Don't laugh, but I was so proud to finally make something and get it done. I have really seen a lot of my prized "project" stuff go out the door with all the downsizing. Finally a little of my junk gets to stay.


Thanks for dropping by!

Let's Party Here:
Share Your Style




15 comments:

  1. Oh I like that and it turned out so well. I never would have know that was a terracotta saucer painted in the first picture if you didn't mention it. You did Good

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so pretty. Sure wish I had an eye for things like that. I am not creative at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rivercrest Cottage,
    Atta' Girl!
    "Use it" or "Lose it" sounds like an amazing idea! That's how I had such great $uccess at our last three garage $ales! I am not missing one single piece!
    Love your newest project!
    I'd say this one's a "Use it", indeed!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so nice. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! Cleaver you. This will be lots of fun to use over the holidays, it has lots of options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your downsizing and upcycling! Your new stand is lovely and will make a great display piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I applaud your efforts.
    I've been trying to pare down, but my husband wants me to have a yard sale, and stuff is piling up for that. What's more, it's getting late in the season for a sale!

    Please drop by and say hello!
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this
    and now I want to make one too!
    :D :D :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete