Thursday, September 1, 2016

Dog Days Of The Garden Pots



The planters aren't flowering anymore, but the green vines still add a little color to our entryway. Tell me...is it the hot sun of late August that thwarts the flowers? 
This cabbage plant is on it's 3rd year in the planter. It dies down each year, but comes back prettier than before. 


Earlier this summer, it was looking like it was on its last leg, so I hacked it down to the nub. I expected it to die and dry out so that I could pull it out easily. 
Much to my surprise, in just a week it was sprouting little leaves, so I took a few pictures and decided to take a wait and see approach...
So glad I took that Lazy Girl approach to gardening as usual. I would've missed the purple tinges in the planter that this flowering cabbage provides.
It seemed to be a fast growing plant, but then I added a few Sweet Potato Vines to each planter and really learned what fast-growing is all about!
What fun it is to see something thrive! Believe me...with my brown thumb it's an unusual sight around our yard.
 I've cut the vine back a few times now, but that just made it grow right up the little decoration I stuck in the middle of the pot a year ago.
Take it from me. If you are unable to keep your plants thriving, try growing one of these vines or a flowering cabbage plant. You can't seem to go wrong with either one of them.



Thanks for dropping by!



Join Me Here:





7 comments:

  1. I so agree about the sweet potato vines! (Actually "forgot" to plant one this summer.....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a Gardner, as my neighbors can attest. But I will have to try the Flowering cabbage next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Sweet Potato Vines are awesome, beware of Aphids..they love them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rivercrest Cottage,
    Sweet Potato vines are the one thing that continues to thrive on the Prairie!
    Your planters are gorgeous!
    have a wonderful Labor Day!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wonderful color of Sweet Potato vines..both types. Yours looks very healthy and robust. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wonderful color of Sweet Potato vines..both types. Yours looks very healthy and robust. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sweet potato vines!
    They are such a pretty and bright color!
    :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete